As many teachers know, novelty catches students’ attention. Once you have students’ attention, readiness for learning increases. This was our thinking in creating enrichment activities for Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan.
Food plays an important role in this novel, literally and figuratively. Enrichment Activities for Chapter Foods are designed to increase students’ connection to the novel through food. There are two or more activities for each chapter. Activities are connected to the food in the chapter title and/or foods mentioned in the chapter. Each lesson plan also includes Chapter Connections, which help students think about the significance of the foods in each chapter and find connections of those foods to their own lives. There are suggestions for preparing food for student sampling and additional resources connected to the various foods. The food activities are fun and may introduce students to new foods or honor the foods of their families.
- 14 Individual Lesson Plans (1 per chapter)
- 1 Culminating Activity: Chat Stations Activity
- 1 Chat Sheet
- 7 Chat Stations Questions Mini-Posters
- 12 Food Cards for Forming Student Pairs, Trios, and Quads
- Permission Letter to Parents/Guardians
- Common Core Standards and Best Practice Connected to this Novel Study
- 1 PowerPoint with 58 Slides
For more resources and ideas, check out our Pinterest Board.
Surviving to Thriving LjL: Pinterest Board on Esperanza Rising
Here’s a list of some of our collaborative work:
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- Wonder by R. J. Palacio
- Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Son by Lois Lowry
- The One and Only Ivan
- The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla